blog publishing
Dean Evan says...



Australia seems to be pumping out a lot of home-grown talent as of late, with Dean Evan fast becoming the next hot commodity in the fashion scene. Currently pushing through his last few months as a fashion design student at Ultimo TAFE, the young Sydney native’s been hard at work tying up loose ends in preparation for his first runway upon graduation. And with that multitude of a talent comes a collection that piles on the bold attitude with a cutting-edge style. Sparing me some time from his hectic schedule, I came up close and personal with the young chap himself, and he’s here to spill more.

Hi Dean! For starters, what sparked off your interest in fashion design?
Dean:
I've always been a creative person. From secondary school continuing something that is creative is what I really wanted to do. I chose to focus on fashion design because the mix of art and the human figure is such a remarkable thing to me.

What would you say is your personal style?
D: This question has constantly stumped me even now as I am making my own range for graduation from fashion school in Sydney. I will say simply that my style has interests in minimalism, couture, unique technology and surface textures.

Can you share a little about what you're currently working on?
D:
Yeah sure Audrey ;) As a third year fashion design student I am working on my graduation range from Ultimo TAFE fashion design studio in Sydney. I have also just finished an eveningwear dress that was for me about recovery. The brief was "The Collector". Where each student utilise bits and pieces and the period of 1930's to create an individual eveningwear garment.

Where do you look for inspiration for your collection?
D:
The range itself is about communication and birth in the dark. I was inspired by 14th/15th century gothic European historical clothing and bioluminescence.

And your muses?
D:
I absolutely adore women who stand up for themselves. Women that go out and do exactly what they want to do! At the moment Emma Watson is who I think about when I’m making my pieces. She is so brave and courageous for sailing around the world. So many things could have gone wrong but she went against the odds on that huge journey.

Who would you like to see wear your clothes?
D:
Emma Watson for sure. She is such a beautiful young woman.

What has been the biggest challenge for you as a fashion designer?
D:
Time and money! Haha. If we had more of both in this industry I would constantly be shooting the breeze.

So what’s next on your list?
D:
I hope to be working on small projects and travelling after I graduate later this year.


How about leaving a powerful message for budding designers out there?
D: It takes determination. Driving talent and new learned skills together to create a career is massive. I myself have not seen fruition of my work yet. Staying focused and happy are key elements you need to start off with. From there I believe you can achieve anything.

Dean Evan - The brainchild behind the all round fashion goodness

Labels: ,


| back to top |

<<< Older Posts Newer Posts >>>

Home

Categories

Art
Design
My Works
Fashion
Festivals
Films
Food
Illustrations
Interviews
Music
Rants
Reviews